How to evaluate and eventually sell an inherited coin collection:
My name is Bryan Abbott and I am a professional numismatist. During my career as a Rare Coin Specialist I have been employed as the primary buyer for several of the larger national rare coin companies in America.
So you’ve inherited a coin collection and you don’t know how to begin evaluating it.
Let’s start by grouping your collection into categories. A categorical listing of the items in your collection can give you some insight into the approximate value of your holdings.
For collections that mostly consist of United States coins, try breaking them down into the following categories:
- Proof and Mint sets (year sets in presentation cases)
- Silver Dollars (Generally 1878 to 1935 Morgan and Peace design)
- Gold Coins (group all gold coins together for this initial sorting)
- World Coins (for the time being group all world coins together)
- Silver Coins (for US Coins, all silver coin prior to 1965)
- Tokens and Medals (these are private issue items such as “good for” or “in trade”)
- United States Currency (all paper money)
- All other US Coins (post 1965, and all nickels and pennies)
- Coin albums (fold out book-like holders with coins inserted into the pages)
- Silver rounds, bars and medals (all miscellaneous silver items)
- Indian Head Cents, Buffalo Nickels, Liberty Nickels
That is how to break your collection down into categories. From there we can begin assessing each category’s rough value with a reasonable amount of accuracy. This exercise is not meant to be precise, it’s meant to be practical, a method for determining a ballpark value of what you have. If you are looking to sell a coin collection in Los Angeles, we are available to help and we often travel throughout the Western United States to appraise and purchase rare coin collections. There is no substitute for having a professional numismatist view your collection but this is a good place to start!
More about values in my next blog…… if you can’t wait.. feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (310-391-9400) me, I’d be glad to help if I can.
We specialize in Antiques, Rare Coins and Estate Jewelry and a broad range of collectibles. We are located in Santa Monica California. We are nearby Culver City, Malibu, Brentwood, Westwood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Los Angeles. We service the entire west coast with appraisals and buying services pertaining to every field we deal in. If you are interested in buying or selling Antiques, Rare Coins, Estate Jewelry or any Collectibles, we ask that you visit the “what we buy” section of our website.
Bryan Martin Abbott
This and all blogs and content on www.310antiques.com are copyrighted. ©2013